Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This blog will chronicle Keith and Sam's great adventure competing in the World OutGames 2009 in Copenhagen from July 25 to Aug. 5th.  The World OutGames is an olympics style international sports festival with 38 sports and over 6,500 athletes.  There is also a cultural and human rights component, and lots of grand parties, as you might imagine.  This is our fifth time to compete internationally, and we know that a great time awaits us in Scandanavia.  

Keith will throw the javelin and hammer, and he is the defending gold medalist in both events, thanks to stellar performances three years ago in Montreal at the first OutGames.  Keith has been training hard in the heat at the Vanderbilt track and is throwing well despite another knee surgery during the past year.  Thankfully, he has a high threshold of pain, and he is the most competitive person I know.  Look for big things from Keith at this OutGames.    

I will compete in the triathlon to be held at the harbor in Copenhagen.  I have been anxious about this event for two reasons.  First, two years ago I tore my left hamstring and wondered if I would ever run again, much less be able to get back into triathlons.   After months of rehab and many painful miles on the road, I feel like I am back.   Second, in Montreal I recorded a personal best, and that motivates me to do well in this event.  Of course, for me the goal is to finish strong, have fun and don't get hurt.  With two triathlons under my belt this summer, I should be fine.


Check out the OutGames at www.copenhagen2009.org.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment